Sunday, December 30, 2007

Matchmaker: Yukimura Seiichi (Chapter 5)

Chapter 5: Still caught in the past

“The cost constraints are these,” Satsuki mumbled and circled an amount of numbers. She tapped her forehead repeatedly and studied the papers spread on her desk. “So the minimum cost for the advertising is half the marketing expenses…” she picked a sheet of paper to her left and began jotting down notes. “Now with the scope we targeted, the outputs are—”

Nakao watched as she tugged the ends of her locks. He sighed as she groaned and crumpled the paper. “Ah—that didn’t add up! We should get total 30% advantage when we—”

“Satsuki-chan,” called Nakao from in front of her. “Let’s go and have lunch.” He idly stacked the papers on the desk and Satsuki yelped and stopped him. “Don’t! Those are the market research reports, Nakao-kun!”

Satsuki scowled and Nakao blinked at her. He gestured to the documents on his laps and sighed. “No, these are the reports. You already put them in a file, remember?” He showed the black hard-covered file and grinned. “And I volunteered to photo copy it for your presentation, Satsuki-chan. Or did you forgotten that too?”

Leaning against her chair, Satsuki exhaled sharply. “Sorry Nakao-kun, I’ve been too caught up with this project.”

He nodded as if understanding, “It haven’t even been a week you since received it. But who cares, that’s your way of handling things.”

Satsuki gave him a wan smile. “And frustrating your head,” added Nakao curtly and Satsuki’s lips formed into a scowl again. Nakao chuckled and took her hand. “C’mon, lunch hour started fifteen minutes ago. And you,” he eyed her with a smile, “need all the energy you need, right?”

“But, but my work,” Satsuki hesitated and stared at her messy desk. “I haven’t started on the advertising probability. And then, I haven’t write the risks control reports yet, Nakao-kun,” she sighed. “I should have made bento this morning.”

Nakao furrowed her eyebrows. “If it made you feel better, I haven’t done the table figures for my department even though Kanata-shunin asked me for it this morning.” He smiled, and she noticed that there were crinkles near his eyes. She always thought this made his smile look genuine. She smiled. “Fine. I felt relieved to know that Kanata-san will kill you tomorrow. You do know he’s picky with lateness, Nakao-kun.”

“Yeah, of course I do. He may be the head but he’s not going to stop me from having my stomach fill.”

*

It took her a week to finish her analysis report and then she had to face Atobe again. She knows that he’s not a picky boss and a demanding one at that.

She knows that despite the ‘you’re worthless’ look of his, he does actually care and is an understanding person.

She had known about him since her junior high days, and if he were the typical demanding, stuck up, know-it-all, spoilt brat, he wouldn’t have his team standing beside him, until now.

“We don’t like him,” that was what Mukahi Gakuto had said with a frown; Satsuki remembered when Yukimura teased them about it. But then Satsuki did notice the calm and comfortable looks on his and the others’ faces when they talk to Atobe.

So from all her experiences, Satsuki knows that Atobe Keigo is not an evil man.

Which concluded that the man in front of her was an imposter.

“W-what…” Satsuki asked, shocked. Atobe smirked and nodded his head. “You heard what I said Yukimura,”

“B-but…I don’t work there,” Satsuki tried to object. Atobe nodded, “But your cousin owns it,”

Satsuki kept quiet. How did it all come to this? Today, her agenda was to see Atobe and report to him, and discuss on which advertisement agency they should contact.

And then Atobe mentioned Yukimura’s advertisement company and Satsuki was excited about it. If they could get her cousin’s to work with them, it’d be her first time to actually do business with her own relative!

Then Atobe burst her bubbles by telling her to work on the advertisement alongside her cousin.

Now, her job as program manager basically include organizing the work and directing it, she had never seen any program manager actually making the advertisement. That was beyond her field.

“But you do know a little about producing an advertisement correct?” Atobe asked her.

Satsuki nodded her head weakly. “Yes, Tooru-ojisan and Seiichi-san explained a little about it to me,”

Atobe nodded, “Then I leave it to you,”

Satsuki stared at him in disbelief. Atobe looked at her and snapped his fingers, “Are you listening?’

She shook her head and looked at him, quizzically, “W-why?”

Atobe shrugged, “I do not want this project to screw up. Ore-sama has an image to keep you know,”

“And I have my limit,” Satsuki whispered to herself. Atobe heard it and narrowed his eyes, “Well, didn’t you said you’d do anything to get a good testimonial?”

Satsuki stared at her boss. He was only a year older than her, but he was so much powerful than even a director with 30 years experience in a workfield.

Anything for testimonials…

Satsuki sighed and nodded her head, “Fine, I’ll contact Seiichi-san when he returns,”

Atobe nodded his head as he picked up a stainless steel ball pen and twirled it with his long fingers, “Oh you don’t have to. I already talked to him and he agreed,” Atobe smirked. “Your next step is the orientation meeting with his agency,”

Satsuki stared at him in disbelief. When did this person plan everything? He might as well become the program manager himself!

Atobe saw her shocked look and smirked. He pointed his pen at her and narrowed his eyes seriously, “Itte yoshi,”

*

“That man is so—One day I am going to—ugh! And here I was thinking so highly of him—argh! He’s so—” Satsuki rambled on angrily inside the car.

Nakao looked at her from his driver’s seat, he broke into a smile, “You do know I can’t catch anything you’re saying,”

Satsuki paused and then looked at her friend, sighing. “It took me a long time to make that report and then as if my work is not enough, he puts on more,”

“But he did say he’s paying you double, remember?” Nakao reminded her. Satsuki shrugged, “So? It’s the workload that worries me”

Nakao laughed, “The great Satsuki is afraid of pressure, that just doesn’t seem right. Maybe it’s her who was replaced with an imposter, not her boss,” he joked.

Satsuki thought about it and nodded her head, “I’m not afraid of pressure, I need it to live,”

Nakao nodded his head as he signaled to his right and stopped in front of her apartment, “That’s right honey,” he said looking at her, “So take this challenge and show Atobe-san what you’re made of,”

The young Yukimura nodded her head, “Thanks, you’re the best,” she said, giving Nakao a hug. He laughed, “Of course.”

Satsuki smiled as she pushed open the car door and got out, “Thanks for the ride.” Nakao nodded his head, grinning, “Anytime babe,” he said before he started driving again.

Satsuki watched the car disappear from her view before walking into her apartment’s building. She was about to enter when she noticed a man with a big cap, and a ridiculously large pair of sunglasses staring at her.

She looked at the man, her eyebrows furrowed quizzically. The man walked towards her, and fearing for her safety, Satsuki quickly pulled out her apartment card to let her into the building.

“Satsuki!” she heard the man shouted her name before she could scan her card. She paused when she remembered the familiar voice. She turned around just as the man neared her and took off his glasses.

A pair of bright green eyes looked at her and his mouth turned into a grin, “Fancy seeing you here,” Kirihara Akaya said.

Satsuki sighed and then broke into a smile, “Akaya,” she called his name, a little surprised to see him too. “W-what are you doing here? In Tokyo?”

Akaya grinned, “I live here, well, I have my own apartment, but since I’m injured, Ayaka-neesan told me to live with her family, and I’m just taking a walk around town,” he told her, still grinning widely. “I haven’t been here for a long time you know,”

Satsuki laughed, “D-do you want to come in?” she asked him. Akaya looked excited and nodded his head, “Sure,” he smiled.

Satsuki nodded and was about to scan her card again when she remembered the state of her apartment. It was messy, with books, papers, dirty dishes and laundry everywhere. She hasn’t thrown her garbage out in a week too.

She can’t let him see the state of her house right now. It’ll be embarrassing!

Satsuki turned slowly and looked at a now curious Akaya. She smiled, “Um, have you had your dinner?” she asked. Akaya shook his head, “Nope, I was planning to eat out while I take my tour,”

Satsuki smiled, “Um, why don’t we have dinner together then? I was planning to eat out too. There’s this café not too far from here, they have a branch back in Kanagawa too”

Akaya looked at her curiously but didn’t ask further. He nodded his head, “Okay,” he said as he put his sunglasses back on. Satsuki walked beside him as she led the way and looked at him. “Do you really have to hide yourself?”

Akaya shrugged, “I think so. I mean the media hasn’t found out I’m in Japan, but even when I was in other countries…” he paused and shivered, “I’m still glad I’m alive,”

Satsuki laughed listening to him. How long has it been since she walked side by side with him, listening to him and laughing at his stories. He was much taller now, way taller than he was in high school and his shoulders were broader too.

She studied him from top to bottom and then a thought occur to her head when she watched the way he walked. “Doesn’t it hurt, to walk?” she asked curiously.

Akaya looked at her and then at his legs and smiled, “Well, if I pamper myself, then it’ll never be heal,”

Satsuki nodded her head, “So what really happened?” she asked. “The media said you were injured but your manager didn’t want to press further,”

Akaya laughed, “Ah…that’s because it was embarrassing,” he smiled. “I was out jogging and it was dark since it’s late…and there were these men that wanted to rob me,” he looked sheepishly at her. “Somehow they had knives and I was down, struggling for one of their knives when someone managed to stab my knee.” He shrugged when Satsuki made a face, “Ouch,” she commented.

“The reporters got it all wrong and my manager was too wrapped up with reorganizing my schedule to explain it. Well, better leave it that way,” Akaya finished and idly rubbed his nose. He scanned the scene before him and his lips curled into a small smile. “It did gave me a holiday, so I guess it was okay,” he added blandly and walked in the same pace as her.

Satsuki spared him a glance. “You sure? I mean you’ll be missing half the Grand Slams,” she pointed out. Akaya shoved his hands into his jacket. “Doesn’t matter. I’ll crush them anyway,” he smiled and Satsuki chuckled, happy that he was okay with his current situation.

They reached the said café not too long after that. Akaya looked at the sign and grinned to himself when he saw the name of the café, Ikebe.

“Hey, all of us always go to this café back at Kanagawa,” he said. Satsuki nodded her head as she stepped into the café, “Exactly why you should eat it here now that you’ve returned.”

They walked into the café and the waiter ushered them to their table and left not too long afterwards, after taking their orders.

“So you just return from work?” Akaya asked, looking at Satsuki’s white and striped shirt and pencil skirt. She nodded her head, “Yeah, and there’s mountainful of work to do when you’re Atobe Keigo’s helper,” she said, pointing to the thick file that she was carrying with her.

Akaya grinned and then paused when the information sunk in his head. “Wait, Atobe?”

Satsuki nodded her head as the waiter arrived with their drinks. “Yeah, and now he gave me a huge advertising product project to handle by myself.”

“What project?” Akaya asked, curious. “Well, the new product is a video camera and I have to organize the marketing and just today he told me to produce the advertisement too,” she sighed. “I have to plan how the CM is going to be like and everything,” she rolled her eyes, annoyed.

Akaya smiled, “You’re still working hard as ever,”

Satsuki shrugged as she took a sip from her cold peach tea drink. “Well I do have goals to accomplish.”

“Becoming a well known lecturer?” Akaya guessed and Satsuki nodded. He smiled, “I wondered about that, why you haven’t become one…”
Satsuki smiled, “Well I still want to be a well known lecturer, but since I need experiences and good testimonials while I’m working, that’d help me a lot,”

“So you’re becoming Atobe’s assistant because of this?”

“I prefer the word dog. He treats his assistant a lot better,” Satsuki said rubbing her temples. Akaya looked surprised, “Why is that?”

“Because his girlfriend is his assistant,” she grinned. Akaya’s eyes widened. “For real?” Satsuki laughed and nodded, “Yup.”

Akaya chuckled and looked at her, “So how about you?” His fingers were toying with his drinking straw and he had pulled out his glasses from his face. It rested on the table beside his drink and Satsuki blinked at his question.

It took her a second to understand his question and then she smiled. “Boyfriend?” she asked and he nodded his head.

When he was talking his walk, he did see her and the man she introduced to her, Nakao was it?, inside a car. He saw them hugged just before she got out of the car and Akaya remembered seeing the same man kissing Satsuki’s cheek at the wedding.

A waiter came over and placed down their orders on the table. Akaya looked at his hamburger and fries and grinned excitedly. Satsuki looked up from her pasta and at Akaya. “You sure that’ll go well with your diet?”

Akaya laughed, “I’m on holidays,” he grinned as he took a bite. Satsuki smiled and shook her head, same old Akaya. “So?” Akaya asked, his mouth full.

Satsuki picked up her fork and looked at him, “Ah right,” she said remembering his question. Akaya nodded his head, waiting for her reply.

“Well, I used to,” Satsuki answered. Akaya looked surprised, “Used to?” She nodded, “When I was studying in New Zealand, I met this Japanese guy there,”

“How long were you there?” he asked. “I studied my degree and masters there,” Satsuki answered. “I just returned last year,”

Akaya looked up, “Where?” he asked. “I went to Auckland a few times for Heineken Open,”

Satsuki nodded her head, “Ah, I heard, but I was way down in Wellington then, and life was pretty hectic back then, with assignments and theses, and then my masters,”

Akaya nodded and grinned, “And boyfriend too?” he asked. Satsuki smiled softly, “Yeah, he was really nice,”

“What happened?” Akaya asked. Satsuki twirled her pasta with her fork and looked up, “He reminded me a lot of my late father,” she said and paused, “Well, it was painful sometimes and it made me miss my father more, so…”

Akaya paused from eating and looked guilty that he had brought the topic up. “I’m sorry,” Satsuki shook her head and smiled, “Nah it’s fine. He was the one who dumped me in the end, he said I was too caught up with the past,”

She looked at him, “Then what about you? I read about you and Lana Lebed,” she grinned. “What’s that about?”

Akaya raised his hands up in defense, “Hey, it was just a dinner and the media misunderstood it,” he grinned, “I’ve dated but I’ve been single since we—” he paused and looked at her awkwardly. “Um…”

Satsuki understood what he wanted to say and she looked down at her plate. “Oh,” she said, feeling a little awkward too. It had been five years but she still remembered their times together.

“It’s not really good to bring up the past huh?” she asked. Akaya nodded, “Kind of,” he said. Satsuki smiled, “It’s the present now, I don’t want us to be awkward because of um, that”

Akaya nodded, “Same here,”

She felt the awkwardness lifted off of her and she smiled widely, “I’ve learnt my lesson not to be caught up with the past,” she said, “So if it’s like a movie, no more flashbacks, the camera’s focusing on now, the past is—” she stpped.

Akaya looked at his companion quizzically. There she was talking for one second, and the next she paused, her fork dropped on to her plate and looked like she was deep in thinking.

Then she suddenly looked up at him, her eyes widened and smiling. “What?” he asked.

“I’ve figured out how I want the CM to be like,” she said, looking excited. Akaya looked at her amusedly, “How?”

Satsuki waved her hand at him, dismissing the question, “Never mind that now,” she said and grinned, “Akaya, what if you starred in the CM?”

Akaya looked at her and blinked his eyes, “Eh?”

TBC

No comments: